Friday, July 3, 2009

Blog Wars, Part Deux... and Freedom

Alright, so last time you heard of the "Blog Wars" I was in the heat of battle with a good friend who thought she could beat me with a better blog.  (poor dear.)  Anyway, as life took over, the battle entered a stale-mate - well, at least on her side.  (*sigh*)  And now, as she has moved to a most unfortunate place with no friends and a 4 year old living for each time she may test her parents, my friend I believe has given up.

Could this be the end of the long (6 month) fought battle for the best blog?!  Could I have won?!  Methinks I should not declare victory too soon.  

Or maybe I should.

My dear friend, if you are reading this, you know who you are; I have a question for you.  I am battle ready.  [tough Clint Eastwood whisper]  Are you? (Anyone else reading this is more than welcome to join our friendly competition, but be warned.  It could get ugly.  It could get brutal.  One day, I WILL have music.  Oh yeah.)

In other news, I have recently been in contact with my alma mater, Judson College.  In another post I will share why this institution means so much to me, but for now just know the school was vital in my development spiritually and emotionally.  I praise God for giving me Judson College during a critical three years of my life.  So, the head honcho over chapel sent me an email asking if I would be in Alabama some time and could I speak in chapel.  The honor of being asked to speak, especially by my Judson, is incredibly overwhelming.  I know that while I am completely undeserving of any attention, my God will give me words and speak through me. My hope is that I will listen with open ears and an open heart as He directs me during the preparation time.  As of right now, I think I am going to focus on slavery vs. freedom.  

As an historian, of course I will have to give some historical background on slavery from the beginning of time, and then as I move forward in time discuss our modern understanding of slavery and the connection to our spiritual lives.  My heart is absolutely broken over the state of modern-day slavery, especially those little ones subjected to the most horrific state of prostitution at ages as young as seven.  God sees them and hears their cries.  There will be healing.  Oh that Christ would return and redeem our barren and corrupt world!  But the time will come soon when that will happen.  It is not for me to know or concentrate on that, but on serving Him with whole heart, mind, soul, and body - to live in the FREEDOM of Christ, no longer a slave to sin.  

God be praised for His ever lasting mercy and grace!

1 Peter 2:16
"Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God."

James 2:12
"Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom..."

Hebrews 2:14-15
"Since the children have flesh and blood, [Jesus] too shared in their humanity so that by His death He might destroy him who holds the power of death - that is, the devil - and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death."

1 Peter 1:13
"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed."

2 Timothy 4:2
"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction."

No comments:

Post a Comment