Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wimpy Women

Okay, back to being semi-serious. What is up with all these "wimpy women" of the faith I've met? My hubby and I lived at the seminary for about 6 months before moving off-campus to the parsonage the church provides for us. While at seminary, it seemed like very few of the women I met wanted to have deep, meaningful conversations about our Lord and Creator, and from what I've heard, it's sort of that way all over.

Today in a conversation with a friend, I found that she too is frustrated at not having girl friends to talk to about things beyond fashion and kids (which are totally fun subjects). Of course, this does not mean every Christian woman is this way. But there does seem to be an overwhelming amount of Christian wives who let their husbands do all the theological talking.

Good grief. We don't have to be Biblical scholars to praise and honor our God in our speech to one another! We need to stop being wimpy women and start spreading His glorious good news! I was so blessed to be a part of the True Woman '08 Conference in Chicago, IL. One of the first words out of Nancy DeMoss's mouth, and I'm paraphrasing here, was that our world had no need for "wimpy women." The theme of the conference was basically that being a wimpy woman was not Biblical and unacceptable to our Creator, and I could not agree more. (I have a link to the web site if you would like to know more about the True Woman movement.) John Piper was the first speaker, and he said that wimpy women was wimpy theology. If you want to hear his whole speech from the conference, you can hear it on his web site www.desiringgod.org.

If you are a Christian woman reading this, and you consistently praise and honor our Lord through your speech, actions, and convictions, I thank you and ask that you give me some pointers. If you are reading this trying to rationalize why you don't live a radical life for Christ [believe me I am totally guilty of this], stop and pick up your cross. It's time for us to stand up and say, "I am woman! Hear me pray!"

No comments:

Post a Comment