Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'm thinking, I'm thinking, I'm thinking..... I'm thinking

If you have seen the 2nd Night at the Museum movie, you totally understand the title. I was reading some John Maxwell again, in Dare to Dream Maxwell quotes Emerson.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet."

This quote intrigues me for a number of reasons. The most basic is that when people begin to think, change happens - be it for the better or for the worst. In going along with my last post, I have recently learned a fundamental truth about human behavior. What you think produces feelings. What you feel produces actions, and what you act upon produces results.

Have you ever met someone and after listening to them you wonder how his or her mind works? My husband is a deep thinker. He ponders over life questions, theology, sin and sanctification, the actions of men, life situations, etc. When he speaks, he truly amazes people. I know I am a little biased, but his professors have all bragged about him to me and others. When I read the Emerson quote, I immediately thought of my husband.

I wonder what kind of change would take place in our fallen world if everyone would take time to stop and think - weighing every option with the scales of wisdom. If we did that, our feelings probably wouldn't get hurt as quickly, we wouldn't lash out at others as often, and we wouldn't hurt others so deeply.

Just a thought I figured I should share.: )

1 comment:

  1. I am a thinker, at this moment.. i got so tired of thinking that i decided to google thinking and came across your site. lol... Good read.. but would have loved if you had expanded a bit more. :) Thanks for sharing the wonderful quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

    ReplyDelete