Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thoughts=Feelings=Actions=Results: What do you think about?

It seems like forever since I last blogged. A lot of changes have been happening in the W household - all for the better. Have you ever noticed how easy it is to fall into a desperately negative outlook? As I was telling a friend earlier, just think about your thoughts, and you'll see how many of them are not in any way edifying, uplifting, or encouraging to anyone. Something I've really been convicted over are my daydreams. Are you a daydreamer? I can spend over an hour imagining things. (It's my "nothing" box.) When I feel overwhelmed, lazy, or just bored with what's going on around me, I start to daydream about random things (like my preferred endings to fairy tales and movies). You know what I found out? That's why sometimes it is very difficult for me to pay attention and concentrate when people start talking to me. Scripture admonishes us to only think on things that are wholly and pleasing to God. When I daydream, I'm wasting time and precious energy on things that are not in existence.

Making changes as little as these can cause more messes than I care to admit. It's like a battle raging in my mind. The desire to just go into my "nothing" box and not think about anything worth while is so very tempting for me. Yet, when I achieve small victories over these tiny character flaws, I notice a change that is more beautiful than a new outfit or haircut. I grow and become more like the One who created me. How messy, and how beautiful was the crucifixion of our God. He shed his flesh and blood to cover our sins forever. His love conquered all hate, death, and misery.

Change can be messy, but changing into Christ makes us more beautiful for it.

As Truvy (played by the great Dolly Parton) said in the movie Steel Magnolias, "Just look at me, Annelle. It takes some effort to look like this!" Let's make the effort to look like Christ and get a little messy in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment