Monday, March 16, 2009

Are you ever in need of a Broom Tree?

1Kings 19:2-8

Then Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah, saying, "So may the gods do to me and more also, if I do not make your life as the life of one of them by this time tomorrow." Then he was afraid, and he arose and ran for his life and came to Beersheba, which belongs to Judah, and left his servant there. But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness and came and sat down under a broom tree. And he asked that he might die, saying, "It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life, for I am no better than my fathers." And he lay down and slept under a broom tree. And behold, an angel touched him and said to him, "Arise and eat." And he looked, and behold, there was at his head a cake baked on hot stones and a jar of water. And he ate and drank and lay down again. And the angel of the LORD came again a second time and touched him and said, "Arise and eat, for the journey is too great for you." And he arose and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb, the mount of God.


Elijah is one of those dudes I never thought would ask for his life to be taken. I think God inspired some stories like these to appear in Scripture to show us that even the prophets were - like us - human. They grew weary and frustrated. Some, like Jonah, didn't want to commit themselves to what God asked them to do because they didn't like the command.

This passage stuck out in my mind as I went over all the events of this year. I know, it's only March. However, it has been a tough year so far. The hardest part of this year, and last, has sadly been our congregation.

I won't go into great detail, but let's just say that God used this congregation to teach us perseverance and joy through trial and suffering. However, through the good, bad, and ugly times, we thought we reached a point of deliverance. We thought the congregation was moving forward and showing great promise for the work God set them apart to do.

We were mistaken.

Thomas came home from the church council meeting and told me what happened. In a nutshell, the group looked at him and said, "We shouldn't have to do anything to grow the church. The pastor is the one who does that."

This may not seem like a lot to some, but these people openly stated that the Great Commission does not apply to them, or any congregation, just the pastors.

That makes no sense. Jesus did not specify certain people of the church to fulfill the Great Commission. He looked at everyone and commanded them all to "go and make disciples of all nations." How is it that so many of our churches want to put off the work of God on those with a title? A church, in my husband's words, is a training place and a place of encouragement. It is a place where we go to get the tools we need to continue the good work Christ commands us to complete. How dare we look at Almighty God and say, "I'm not the pastor so that does not apply to me."

Pardon the expression, but that's a load of crap. I'm not always the best Christian, and I certainly am NOT perfect. I don't mean to demean anyone who honestly wants to physically serve God, but can't for one reason or another. There have been plenty of times when I have not wanted and refused to do what God called me to do for one reason or another, and those memories cause me grief and pain.

All that being said, my spirit has simply been down-trodden from their response and their hearts of stone. My husband and I need a broom tree. This is our first church, and we have made so many mistakes. But through it all, we have earnestly tried to remain true to God's calling and commands. We've now come to a point where we want to see God's hand pointing which way we should go. Stay or leave? We've received counsel on both sides, and now we wait. We wait and we pray for a broom tree to be provided in order for us to be refreshed and revived for the journey ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment