Monday, March 2, 2009

There's Something About Mary

Not the movie - Jesus' mom.

On the way home from school tonight, I have no idea why or how I began thinking about this, but I thought about women in the Bible. I suddenly realized that Mary, the woman who gave birth to our Lord and Savior, does not have her own book in the Bible.

There are not that many books in the Bible devoted to women. I think that Mary does not have her own book because God knew that humans might look to her with the same sort of reverence and worship that we look to God with. When I was serving as a missionary in Southeast Asia, a statue of Mary in front of the Catholic church began "crying". The people gathered around it with flowers, candles, singing, and fruit. They offered prayers to the statue of Jesus' mom instead of Him.

I think it would have been awesome (and horrible) to have been the woman chosen to be the Messiah's mother. However, I think it took a very humble and God-fearing woman to give birth and rear God. I don't know how Mary ever looked at herself - except from when Gabriel speaks to her about her being the one chosen as the virgin mother of God. When Gabriel speaks to her, she's like, "really? me? I haven't slept with anyone. But let it be done to me as you have said." She's totally willing to be in God's will, probably knowing what it would cost her in reputation and everything else.

Yet, being this great, wonderful woman did not set her apart as having her own book in the Bible! Why?

Because it was never, is not now, nor will it ever be about her.

History, as I always say, is His Story - not ours. Mary was an important part of the plan in order for the prophecy to be fulfilled, but she is not the focal point. Jesus the Christ is. And when Christ taught His disciples to pray, he never mentions praying to anyone but Him.

Matthew 6:9-13 (KJV) The Lord's Prayer:

"Our Father, which art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, in earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: for Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen."

2 comments:

  1. That was perfectly and beautifully written. I have read and heard too many excuses about why there is "worship" of Mary. People trying to get around the simple fact that it should not be about her, but about our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabrielle you could definitely write a book on any subject, I would definitely read it, you obviously think about Bible stories alot!

    ReplyDelete