Thursday, March 5, 2009

BREAK-THROUGH!

A Court of Two Sisters: How Two Women Established the Christian Woman's Exchange as one of the Leading New Orleans Woman's Groups, 1881-1891

What do you think?

It's my THESIS title!!!!

I can't tell you how incredibly stoked I am. (Not that you can't already tell that.) Seriously, those of you that know me, completely know what forming a thesis statement and good title means to me - and to UNO since they won't let me graduate without these.

Okay, so here's the story.

The CWE began in 1881, modeled after the New York Exchange for Woman's Work. In a decade, two women - Mrs. Bartlett and Mrs. Walmsley - were able to establish the first free circulating library in New Orleans, a day nursery for working mothers, a consignment shop for women to earn an honest living, and a boardinghouse for women. The best part is...those are only the biggest things this group accomplished in just one decade. So I got to thinking about it, and I realized that this is my thesis - that getting through the first decade set the CWE up as THE standard for almost all other successful woman's organizations in New Orleans. Know what's even better? The CWE is still in existence - known now as The Woman's Exchange. Unfortunately they have changed their mission to historic preservation instead of charity, but the fact that they are still around is HUGE!

Okay, I want feedback. I can take criticism or compliments or anything at this point!

1 comment:

  1. Great! Exciting you have a thesis, it sounds really interesting. By the way, I had to send my phone to get fixed and my new phone did not have all of my phone numbers on it, so please send me an email or text with your number. Thanks, I hope we can do something again when the men go away in a week for training. Let me know?

    ReplyDelete