Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A new friend and a New Perspective

I have been so excited recently about a new friend and mentor, Diane. She is one of the most Godly women I know, and I am so glad that I get to know her. She's been a minister's wife for over 20 years, and she and her husband have been through it all. I won't tell her testimony for her; if you'd like to listen to it, go to her site - http://www.dianenix.com/.

She and I talked last week about some things going on in the church and how to face them as a minister's wife. If any of you know me, you've definitely heard me complain about the congregation. After I explained my frustration with the sheep, she very lovingly said, "You don't have a lot of grace for the body of Christ, do you?"

Ouch. She picks up quick. But I needed to hear it, and what's more, I needed to admit it. I am so gracious and loving to people who don't know the Lord, but for the church, I'm ready to point out where they are lacking spiritually. Well, I admitted that she was right, and we went on to talk about what it means to love. We also spoke about how I, as a young woman, can be a positive role model and spiritual leader for women more than twice my age.

She went on to remind me that God loves His bride, and He will protect His bride, giving her 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 500th chances! Another friend pointed out that this congregation, like the Israelites, may be getting towards the end of a 40 year stint in the desert. They're weary, and they're human.

After hearing Diane's testimony, I realized how much I have to be thankful for. Through the trials we face at this church, God is continually refining us to be like Him. He loves us that much. My assignments for this week (yep, she gave me homework) was to pray earnestly for the congregation and that God would give me His eyes and His heart for these people, and then I was to pray that God would reveal any sin in my heart that might be keeping me from loving God's people. Would you join me as I pray for these things? I could use the help!!

No comments:

Post a Comment