Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Back to What I Do Best

At least, I think history is what I do best. I'm getting a Master's degree for it, so I must be decent. (That's right, I said Master's. So you can call me Master Gabrielle beginning on May 15.) What was I blogging about?


Oh yeah, history...it's what I do best. :)


Okay, so my hubby and I were reading some Scripture tonight that again pointed out to me why I enjoy history so much.


In 2 Kings, beginning in chapter 18, you will find the story of Hezekiah. He became king of Judah when he was 25, and "he did what was right in the eyes of the LORD...he removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it." Vs. 2-4 (NIV) This was one of the few good kings of Judah. He wasn't perfect, but he did his best to live for God. Later he became incredibly sick, but he prayed and wept. God took mercy on him, and He allowed Hezekiah to live and reign for 15 more years.


2 Kings 20:20 (NIV)

"As for the other events of Hezekiah's reign, all his achievements and how he made the pool and the tunnel by which he brought water into the city, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Judah?"


You know what? That is not the first time in the Old Testament, or the last for that matter, where the "annals of the kings of Judah" are mentioned. You know what else? Nobody knows where the annals are. There are miles and miles of land in what was Isreal and Judah that have never been properly excavated. One of my dreams is that one day someone (maybe me?) will find the annals of the kings of Judah and many other Biblical relics. Part of my reasoning is to give a big "what you got now, fools?!" to those who would disregard the Scriptures. However, we are not to call people fools, nor should I be thinking in terms of vengence for all the flack I've taken as a Christian and historian. The other part of me just wants to see something of our past. What a marvelous way to commemorate God's fantastic mercy.


You see, history is not simply looking at old stuff and keeping it safe for other people to look at. That is only one tiny smidgen of history. There are so many things that we still don't know or can't find! As I say all the time, history is ever changing and ever moving. It is HIS story, not ours. The story of God's grace, mercy, and glory is not boring or mundane. It is exquisite.


Also, how cool would it be if I could be a female (Christian) version of Indiana Jones?

1 comment:

  1. You're silly, but I was not familiar with this passage till you wrote about it! I need to start reading more 1st and 2nd Kings.

    ReplyDelete