Thursday, February 5, 2009

Radical Obediance


My husband just came home from the grocery store with a strange look on his face. He went to buy me some chicken noodle soup since I'm not feeling that well. He went on to pull out an eight pack of juice, still with a strange look on his face. He opens up the package, I ask if I may have some, and as I drink he tells me the following story.


Today during chapel at the Seminary, the speaker challenged the students to radical obediance to Christ. He said that with 4 billion people in the world not knowing the Way, Truth, and Life, the time to act is now. My husband is a great thinker, and I admire him mostly because of his unswavering devotion to our Creator God. After chapel, he began to think and pray, asking God to show him how he can radically obey Him. He then thought, "I need to buy some juice and hand it out here at the Seminary."


Sounds a little ridiculous, huh? That's what he thought too. His actual thoughts were, "That's the stupidest idea I've ever come up with."


While at the store, he came across an elderly gentleman drinking coffee. They started talking, and Thomas was thinking about how to share his faith. They wound up just walking away from each other. Thomas then thought about going to get some juice. He saw the man there as well, and Thomas asked him how he could pray for him. They went on to talk in detail about their prayer lives and salvation through Jesus the Christ. He then checked out of the store with the soup and an eight pack of juice.


I cried when he finished telling me this. Some times we think we have it all figured out, but this story touched me in a very special way. Radical obediance does not necessarily mean healing people, making miracles happen, seeing thousands come to know Christ. Some times radical obediance is doing the little, seemingly ridiculous things - like buying juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment