Monday, February 2, 2009

Will Work...Period!

So the economy is going down the crapper. (Vulgar phrase rooted in history, I promise!) What does this mean for historians? Well, it means that those historians just entering the field are having a harder time getting a job that pays...or getting a job at all. I am so blessed to have a job in my field right now, but unfortunately it only lasts to the end of February, possibly March. But after that what's next? What can we do besides stand next to I-10 with a sign saying "Will Work for Food"?


My advise to any budding historian...intern. Find a museum, library, historic house, archive, or other place with historical significance that could use a volunteer and help out as much as possible, learning as much as anyone is willing to teach you - even the boring stuff. The more experience you have, coupled with your education, will open 1000 more doors than just a degree. Believe me I wish someone had explained this to me years ago.The history field is so exciting, but our society is focused more on math and science than anything else right now, and funding for the humanities has gone down drastically. It is not impossible to find a job in our field, but it is harder. Just get in there and volunteer!

By the way, if any of you know of an employer in need of a historian - hit me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment