Saturday, February 28, 2009

Growing Pains

Do you remember as a kid when your leg would hurt terribly for no reason at all? My parents called them growing pains. I guess they were right; I mean, I am kind of tall for a girl.

Anyway, I am undergoing some serious spiritual growing pains right now. I've always heard the phrase, be careful what you wish or ask for because you just might get it. Well, I've prayed for the Lord Almighty to grow me, and He is answering that prayer. I won't go into details, but an acquaintance of mine put me in my place the other day. I was so embarrassed and ashamed that this person who does not know me very well was able to point out a sin in my life.

Nobody likes to hear the bad things about themselves, but I think it's worse when you realize the bad things about yourself in your own heart. Then you realize how utterly disgusting you are and how phenominally gracious God is to love one such as yourself.

This reminds me of a plan that I've wanted to put into action for some time now. I want to start a speaking ministry called Pearls. My friend Danielle came up with the name. The reason for the name is the connection to the text above. Pearls basically start off as nasty bedsores inside an oyster's mouth. The constantly move the muscle around the grit of sand that has lodged in its mouth until a pearl forms. That is kind of what God does with us. We are like disgusting bedsores until God begins to refine us into something way more beautiful - into Christ's likeness.

Please pray for me as I grow. It hurts, and I could use the encouragement. Also please be in prayer for me and my friends as we consider becoming "Pearls" together to reach out to women.

Thank you for letting me share.

2 comments:

  1. "And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."
    Hebrews 12:5-11

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabrielle, it is hard to realize we are not measuring up to God's standards for us, I beat myself all the time about not knowing as much as I want to know about the Bible and have magic thoughts of an appropriate Bible verse or story to go with a story. Pray that I read and reflect on more Bible stories and that God may use what I am reading to help someone. Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete